Goal: Provide Energy, Build Muscle and Enhance Recovery
Supplement Recipe: Ingredients: • BCAA Powder: 10 g • Maltodextrin: 20 g • Caffeine Anhydrous: 200 mg • L-Carnosine: 500 mg • L-Glutamine: 5 g • Potassium Bicarbonate: 1 g • ¼ Sugar-Free Powdered Drink Mix (like Kool-Aid) • ¼ cup sugar substitute (like Stevia ®) • 1 liter bottle filled ¾ with water
Supplement Recipe Directions:
Right before training, add all dry ingredients to about ¾ of a liter of cold water (preferably filtered), cap the bottle and shake vigorously.
Fill the rest of the bottle with ice and sip on the mixture throughout your workout. Approximate 30-Day Cost For Formula: Approximately $28.81 Per Month!*
*Based upon 1 dose per day for 30 days (30 total doses)
Recipe Goal: During your workouts, your body leans toward breaking down muscle tissue to in order to utilize protein to help fuel your intense efforts.
While most supplements focus on what to do AFTER your workout to aid in recovery,this formula focuses on providing you with the anti-catabolic (muscle wasting) support you need…when you need it most!
I use this personal formula for every workout and I always end my workouts with as much energy as when I started and sometimes, my last sets are my most intense!
Why This Formula Works: “Pre-workout supplements” focus on what you do to prepare before your workouts. “Post-workout supplements” are marketed to providing your body with the support it needs to recover after the intense workout you put it through.
In fact, so much emphasis is placed on “post-workout recovery” that you’re supposed to supplement IMMEDIATELY after your workout to minimize muscle loss and begin the muscle repair process.
I say, why wait until the END of your workout?!
Why not provide your body with the support it needs WHILE you’re working out to nip muscle loss in the bud and kick the recovery process into high gear as soon as possible?
In fact, Australian researchers found that supplementing with an amino acid/carbohydrate supplement DURING intense exercise dramatically prevented muscle protein breakdown.
That’s what this formula does!
Remember that during exercise, BCAA’s are utilized more than other amino acids as fuel and are robbed from you existing muscle tissue to give you energy.By supplementing with 10 grams of amino’s during your workout, you help satisfy that “protein craving”, minimizing muscle loss, while providing immediate “damage control” for your muscles to begin building you up bigger and stronger.
Maltodetrin is added in small quantities to provide you with long-burning carbohydrate fuel for an extended period of time.
This “slow burn” is incorporated rather than the “sugar rush” from typical name brand “pre-workout” products in order to avoid the common “sugar CRASH that happens mid-to-late workout.
Also, the more readily available carbs that can be used for fuel, the more amino acids can be shifted over to the muscle-building recovery process rather than be used for energy.
Caffeine Anhydrous is included as a proven “fatigue resistor”. Although people say that “caffeine is caffeine”, I find that the powdered “Anhydrous” supplements provide a slower, more sustainable release as they don’t dissolve as quickly as caffeine tablets. (Note: if you are concerned with too much caffeine intake – I use up to 500 mg a day – then you can reduce the amount of caffeine used. If you also use my “Pre- Workout Primer”, then it’s up to you where you want to take from…if you need more “drive” just to get motivated at the beginning of your workout, remove some from this “during workout” formula.
If you need more sustainable energy during your workouts, knock some or all from the “pre-workout” formula.) Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that this formula is “all about caffeine”!
Carnosine and l-glutamine are added very strategically here and a big part of this formula…Carnosine naturally occurs in muscle tissue as a synthesis of beta-alanine and lhistidineand plays a crucial role in muscle metabolism during intense exercise, particularly for those type-II “fast-twitch muscle fibers you’re using for explosive sports like weight training. (Note: Some research suggests that the best way to increase carnosine levels is to supplement with its precursors, beta-alanine and l-histidine.I am currently experimenting with this approach but there are some side effects noted.)
In addition, l-glutamine, being the largest amino acid stored in muscle tissue of the body (though some now argue that carnosine may be), is also crucial to the avoidance of lost muscle and the rapid repair and re-growth cycle.
Both carnosine and glutamine stores are depleted during training leading to reduced ability for the body to deal with oxidative stress.
And lastly, your body’s electrolyte levels (potassium, sodium, and chloride) which are responsible for the flow of electromagnetic energy, rapidly decline during exercise.
Potassium is the most important of these and there have even been some distance runners who have collapsed from potassium depletion.
Potassium bicarbonate has been added to this formula to make sure your electrolyte levels are in top shape throughout your training session.
As a chaser, carnosine, glutamine, AND potassium bicarbonate help to buffer the body’s natural acidic response to training, allowing you to train longer and harder.
Primary Active Ingredients Breakdown And How They Fit Into The Formula:
Branched-Chain Amino Acids (L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine):
• Enhances energy, increases endurance, and aids in muscle recovery and tissue repair.
• Promotes muscle growth.
• Decreases elevated blood sugar levels and increases growth hormone production. Maltodextrin:
• Easily digestible blend of complex carbohydrates that are derived from
corn starch and provide great source of energy.
• Contains linked sugar compounds (also known as glucose polymers) that are easier for the body to ingest and use.
• Metabolized at a slow, steady rate so that high energy levels may be sustained during vigorous workouts.
• Is considered a “low-glycemic” sugar due to its slow metabolic assimilation so it will not spike insulin levels as faster-digesting sugars will. Caffeine Anhydrous:
• Power and energy booster. It energizes the body to enable powerful workouts. It is a fast-acting supplement that delivers the right molecular structure to the energy systems of the body, which allows maximum
energy and power exertion.
• Increases mental alertness and provides a mental surge to motivate you through the most tedious of workouts.
• Studies have shown that caffeine reaches deep into the muscle cells to provide long-lasting energy while delaying the onset of muscle fatigue. L-Carnosine:
• A naturally-occurring dipeptide that is synthesised from the amino acidsBeta-alanine and L-Histidine.
• Carnosine is found in skeletal muscle, heart and brain, and plays a crucial part in muscle metabolism during high intensity training.
• Increases your ability to train harder by reducing muscle acidity levels during intense exercise, allowing you to train harder and longer.
• Some research suggests that the best way to increase carnosine levels to supplement with its precursors, beta-alanine and l-histidine. (I am personally researching now but have found straight l-carnosine to work very well.)